A guide to using Google Authenticator for both a mobile device and desktop.
Steps for iPhone or Android Mobile Device:
Step 1: Please install the Google Authenticator app on your mobile device.
Step 2: Open the Google Authenticator app, on the homepage of the app you will see a + sign. Please click the + sign.
Step 3: Then select the scan barcode option as shown below. Your phone may ask to allow the app to access the camera, this option will not work unless the permission is given. You will then scan the barcode or QR code by hovering your camera over the QR code until it’s within the green square.
Step 4: After the code is scanned, you will see a six-digit code appear. This code a 30-second timer, once the time has expired a new code is displayed. You want to make sure you use the code before the time expires. You will see a circle timer at the bottom right-hand side of the code.
Using a Chrome Extension Authenticator (Only use if your device is not working)
- Please navigate to this link here with your chrome browser. Once you have navigated to this page please select the add to chrome option.
- You will now see a new icon next to the URL bar on the right side. Please click this icon to see your authenticator app.
- Please select the pencil on the right upper corner, which will then display a box with a + sign. Please click the + sign which will display two options, to either Scan QR Code or Manual Entry.
- If you choose the Scan QR Code option, the application will display an example of how to drag the cursor in order to tell the authenticator where the QR code is. You will want to start at the top left-hand corner of the QR code and then left click and hold, then drag the cursor down to the bottom right-hand corner covering the whole QR code.
- If you choose the manual option, you will then be asked to fill in the account name and the secret key. The account name can be anything you would want but be careful as it allows you to put the same name for multiple entries. For the secret key section, you will copy and paste the string of characters below the QR code by clicking on the blue box next to the string of characters. Once you have copied the secret key onto the authenticator you will then leave the last option as “Time Based”. Then click the OK button to finalize your entry.
- Once you have synced your secret key or QR code, you will now see a 6-digit code displayed on the application. If you simply click the button it will automatically copy the code which you can then paste on to the SALT website.
- If you see a 406 error when attempting to log in you will need to contact email@example.com in order for us to reopen the window in which your QR code is displayed after a 2FA reset has been initiated.
- Code mismatch fail enable software token MFA, this error message is displayed when the code you are implementing is not the code the system is expecting, meaning the QR code used to sync your Authentication device is not the same as the QR code currently displayed on the screen. In order to resolve this, you will need to erase your current code and synchronize the QR code displayed on the web page.
- You will also want to make sure that your device is correctly synced with your PC’s time, as the codes are time sensitive you will receive errors if the times of both devices are not matched up.